July 4th

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Celebrate Independence!

Nothing says summer and celebrations like sangria!

My husband introduced me to the world of sangria on my first trip to Chicago. We dined at the beautiful Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba. Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba is a premier Spanish restaurant known for tapas, paella and sangria. Those of you who know me know that I seldom drink. I was very reluctant to try the sangria, a traditional Spanish drink made with wine, spirits and diced fruit, but my husband assured me that I would love it and also reminded me that we took a cab to the cafe...and that turned out to be a very good thing! The sangria was so sweet and fruity, easy to drink and the atmosphere of the cafe just enhanced the experience. I tried the red, the white, the white peach and the black raspberry!! I have since been on a mission to either find a local restaurant that can make a sangria as well as Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba or to create one myself!

I have played with many recipes and this one is very good. I love it for the summer months and to share for the July 4th holiday because the ingredients used are in season and the colors are perfect! I hope you try this and enjoy it! Remember...it can sneak up on you so drink wisely!!

And if you are ever in Chicago try Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba!! You will love it!

Celebration Sangria

Ingredients

1 bottle dry white or rose wine (I use a white zinfandel)
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup blueberries
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained and stems removed
1/2 cup pomegranate schnapps
1/4 cup sugar
Club soda
Apples or star fruit


Directions

Add the strawberries, blueberries,and cherries to a pitcher.
Pour in the wine and the pomegranate schnapps.
Gently stir in the sugar.
Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
To serve, fill a glass with ice cubes. Pour the sangria in about 2/3 full, add a few pieces of the fruit. Top off with club soda.
*For the Fourth of July I sliced apples into the shape of stars for a festive touch. You could also use star fruit if available. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment