July 4th

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

After cooking a huge Valentines Day meal that my children deemed “fancy food”, I thought I better pull out something they would love. I struggle with finding that happy medium, I cook something the kids are bonkers over and I get the “Oh no...look” from the husband. The supper gods must have sensed my stress!! I checked my email one last time before heading out to get groceries and this little gem was in my inbox! I knew that everyone would be happy with this recipe. And they were! I served this with a side of black beans and rice, a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro, a little sliced avocado and jalapenos. I hope your family enjoys this as well!
Photo courtesy The Noble Pig

Chicken Frito Pie
Recipe adapted from The Noble Pig

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1/2" pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 cups chicken broth
2 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans (or Great Northern), drained and rinsed
2-1/2 cups Fritos, divided
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350o F. In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over medium high. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then brown on both sides. Remove to a plate. Add onion, garlic and chili powder to pot, stirring; saute until tender.

Return chicken to pot, stir in broth, green chiles and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer (uncovered) and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid evaporates.

Add 1-1/2 cups Fritos to a 2 quart casserole. Top with chicken mixture, remaining Fritos and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment