July 4th

Friday, January 21, 2011

That house...

This. Drives. Me. Crazy.  If I had my way my house would be spotless at all times.  I like order.  I like things to smell nice.  When I go to get something I like to know exactly where it is.  But...I live in a frat house.  Full of men (I was told in a not so nice way that I wasn't allowed to call them boys).  Messy, stinky men who seem to attract other messy, stinky men to our house.  It seems that the combination of teenage/ pre-teenage boys (add the occasional gaggle of girls too) and a house in the middle of town equals constant mess and craziness.  I run around picking up shoes, hats, clothing, cleaning up mud and messes.  I go through a ton of snack food and drinks, but never seem to have a Diet Mt. Dew when I am really craving one.  With that said...I wouldn't change a single thing.  I love being that house.  The house where any kid who comes here, they don't seem to want to leave.  I love to listen and watch them act like silly little kids.  There have been times when I go to bed with just one "extra" here and wake up with 6.  I've had parents tell me that they wouldn't put up with all the kids running in and out of their house...personally, since I've been accused more than once of being a "helicopter" parent, I would rather clean up a little mud and a few crumbs than to worry myself sick not knowing where my sons are or what they may be doing.  So for now, I'll keep loving cooking for the small army of frat boys that come through my doors!!

Tonight I'm making them Cheeseburger Sliders, mac and cheese and fries.  Nothing fancy...just like they like it!! Truthfully, I enjoy an easy throw together meal every once in a while too!! More time to enjoy these boys...they will be grown and gone far too fast!

Sliders
Adapted from Big Red Kitchen

Ground chuck (80/20) 2 pounds for a 9 x 13 pan, 2-1/2 pounds for a 10 x 15 pan
Dried, minced onion
Seasoning salt
Sliced cheese
Sliced dill pickles
Dinner rolls (We like the Sara Lee Mini Sandwich Rolls)

Sprinkle dried minced onion on the bottom of a 9 x 13 or 10 x 15 pan.  Use as much as you like.

Press ground chuck into pan, on top of onions until it completely covers the bottom.  Use two pounds of ground chuck if you are using a 9 x 13 pan or 2-1/2 pounds of ground chuck if you are using a 10 x 15 pan.  Sprinkle the meat with seasoning salt.

Place in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.  (Make sure you use an 80/20 mixture of ground beef, otherwise your burgers will be dry.)

The meat will shrink in the oven.  After 25 minutes remove and cover with six slices of cheese.  Place meat back in the oven for two minutes until the cheese is melted.

With a pizza cutter or a knife, slice the meat into as many square pieces as you have rolls.

Place the meat in between the bun with some of the onion and pop on a few dill pickles.  You are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment